Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Hey, I wrote something!

Alright, so not much has been going on that anybody really wants to hear about. I've been working for my dad's company, thenewBlank, doing some production management type stuffy-stuff. Yep. Yayay. This weekend I'm visiting Port Angeles for my mom's birthday, my boyfriend's band's debut concert, and probably some visiting of friends that are back for Thanksgiving. So I'm looking forward to that.
In the meanwhile, I wrote a poem kind of thing today! I haven't in awhile! So I'm excited!

Untitled

I've stood here countless times before
one of them with you
so why is it
that's the only one I can remember?
That time, I took a picture
of the skyscraper with the rounded top,
straight in front of us, me,
against a bright blue sky with white clouds.
It was cool that day.
I tell myself
I remember that only
because it is always cool,
in Seattle.
Tonight, it stands
against a charcoal night.
The leaves on the trees planted in the sidewalk,
illuminated by lamposts,
are bright,
bright yellow.
Especially against
such black bark
and such charcoal night.
I am more aware of those around me,
but only because
it is night,
not because of the lack of company.
That time,
we rubbed each other's ears, and
talked
of forever.
Tonight, I think
of forever ago,
but only slightly.
I mostly think
of my disheveled hair in the reflection of the busses
as they come, stop, go.
I mostly think of
the bus I am looking for
and why isn't it here yet?
Why isn't it here now?
It was here for a moment,
while I
was a block away,
I saw it whip past me, and stop,
while I ran to catch it.
I was not too slow,
but my bus was too fast,
and- away.
So now I wait.
Other busses come, stop, go
and I direct my attention
to my reflection when they stop,
and to the bright yellow leaves
against the charcoal night
flying straight, fast, in the opposite direction
when they go.

Let me know what you think in the comments! Criticism is appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. Hi sweet girl: Grampa and I read this poem and have a couple of thoughts. Grampa is the poet, not me so these are mostly his thoughts. Free verse is not our forte so take that into consideration when you read our comment. Our understanding of free verse is that it has one storyline. This poem seems to have two. With the two neither one flows to completion. Well hope that helps. love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I get what you mean. The second "storyline" about the bus is an analogy to how I feel about the first. Or at least that's what it was meant to be. I was a little worried it wasn't clear enough. Thanks for the input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the part about you not being slow but the bus being fast. LOVE THAT!!!

    ReplyDelete