Monday, November 7, 2011

Goodbye, Korea... a.k.a. Seoul pt. 1

Welp, I'm back in Seattle. I really missed that specific Seattle-like chill in the air. I miss Korea though, also.
Today I'm going to talk about the last day in Korea- we went to Seoul, the major city of South Korea.
After getting up super early and (inevitably) sleeping in the car, we arrived in Seoul and went to Gyeongbok Palace, which was the King's palace. It was all torn down by the Japanese multiple times, and is currently (I think, I could be wrong) 40% reconstructed. They are still working to completely reconstruct it. It's already really big, so I know it has to have been absolutely huge.
Me in the yard where they used to practice their fighting skills.

The throne hall. You can see the separation in the path to the entrance... the center path was used only by the King and the outer two was for everyone else. You can see half of the center path and the right outer path in this picture.

The throne room.

On the ceiling was two dragons, which symbolized equal opposites, similar to the yin and yang symbol.

The royal army was parading through the palace while we were there. Later, when we already had left we heard drumming and saw them through the gate with brightly coloured banners doing the changing of the gaurd.  

A boat in the middle of a pond. 

Miya and I in front of the steps up to the National Folk Museum of Korea. She is taller than me, as you can see.  

Afterward, we met up with one of Jamie's old friends, who's english name was Cameron. He was really nice, and took us out to lunch at a restaurant where we had spicy  and shiitake mushrooms. I think I must've built up a little more tolerance to spicy food, because I don't know if I would have been able to handle how spicy this food was before I came here.

I think for now I'm going to leave it at that, because I have so many pictures from Seoul and I don't want to overwhelm anybody.

Breakfast: Korean Dunkin' Donuts on the road. Haha.
Lunch: Spicy octopus/shiitake mushroom, octopus pancake.

No comments:

Post a Comment